Pak Taliban target Shia Muslims, 14 killed
Islamabad: The Pakistani Taliban on Wednesday attacked a bus packed with Shia Muslims, with a roadside bomb, killing fourteen, including two children in the country’s tribal belt.
The blast occurred in a semi-autonomous tribal region - Sepoy village of Orakzai Agency, officials said.
The militants used remote control to detonate the bomb while the bus was passing through the area.
A spokesman for a Pakistani Taliban faction based in Darra Adam Khel told the media that the bus was targeted because it was carrying members of the minority Shia community.
The bombing was the latest in a series of attacks on Shias across the country by the Taliban and other banned militant groups.
Seven persons were killed instantly and seven more succumbed to their injuries in a nearby hospital.
Two women, a three-year-old girl and an 11-year-old boy were among the dead.
Officials described the condition of the four injured persons as critical.
Security forces and a local `lashkar` or anti-Taliban militia launched a search operation after the blast.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan