Pak Taliban threatens to continue attacks on security forces
Islamabad: Pakistani Taliban militants based in Afghanistan have threatened to continue attacks on Pakistani security forces and government installations from sanctuaries in Kunar and Nuristan provinces, according to a media report on Friday.
"We don`t care if the (Hamid) Karzai government or NATO forces decide to launch an operation against us in Kunar and Nuristan as this region has never been in control of the Afghan government and foreign forces," said Sairajuddin Ahmed, spokesman for the Pakistani Taliban led by Mullah Fazlullah.
"We are very much in control of the two provinces and face no problems from local forces while carrying out attacks in Pakistan," Ahmed was quoted as saying by The News daily.
Fazlullah escaped to Afghanistan with scores of his fighters when the Pakistan Army launched an operation against the Pakistani Taliban in Swat Valley, located 160 km from Islamabad, in early 2009.
Fazlullah`s fighters have been blamed for a string of recent cross-border attacks in Pakistan.
Ahmed said the militants knew that Pakistan Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf had visited Afghanistan yesterday to pressure the government of President Hamid Karzai and to request NATO commanders to launch operations against the Pakistani Taliban in Kunar and Nuristan.
"No one can stop us from our attacks in Pakistan, (not) even the Karzai regime and foreign forces. They, in the past, had used enough force but failed to secure control of the region. They can`t capture this region from us now," Ahmed said.
Ahmed claimed that the Taliban would also launch attacks in the Swat Valley, which has been largely peaceful since the operation by the military to flush out the militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened