Pak Taliban warn people not to participate in general election
Islamabad: The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan has distributed pamphlets in several Pakistani cities, including Peshawar and Karachi, warning people not to participate in next month`s landmark general election.
Leaflets distributed in several areas of Karachi, the country`s largest city, threatened people not to attend political rallies or cast their votes, Dawn News channel reported.
Pamphlets were also distributed at Badabher, Mattani and Adezai areas on the outskirts of Peshawar and at Buner and Swat in the northwestern Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
In Buner, leaflets distributed near a mosque in Shingrai warned local residents against participating in the polls.
The pamphlets warned people that they would be responsible for their lives if they violated the Taliban`s ban on voting in the May 11 general election, which will mark the first democratic transition in Pakistan`s 66-year history.
Local residents and security personnel confirmed that leaflets were distributed in several areas of the restive northwest.
They said the pamphlets contained threats similar to those made by the Taliban during elections in 2008.
Taliban spokesman Ihsanullah Ihsan was quoted as saying that his organisation considered democracy as "un-Islamic" and the "agenda of secular forces in Pakistan".
He said the Taliban were opposed to democracy.
Ihsan said the Taliban would continue its fight against "secular forces and governments which were backed by secular countries".
The Taliban had earlier warned that they would target leaders and election rallies of secular parties like the Pakistan People`s Party, Awami National Party and Muttahida Qaumi Movement.
The Taliban gunned down a MQM candidate in the southern city of Hyderabad while about 20 people were killed when a suicide bomber recently targeted a ANP meeting in Peshawar.
In 2008, the Taliban had carried out a suicide attack in Buner during by-elections for a parliamentary seat. At least 45 people were killed and 150 injured in that attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe