Pak Taliban`s `fidayeen couple` in suicide bombing
Dera Ismail Khan: The Pakistani
Taliban on Sunday said the group had sent a husband and wife
suicide squad to carry out an attack on a police station in
northwestern Pakistan that killed 10 people, a rare instance
of militants using a woman as a bomber.
The pair entered the police station in Dera Ismail
Khan yesterday and said they were there to lodge a complaint,
said Imtiaz Shah, a senior police official.
Once inside, the two attacked with grenades and
machine guns, triggering a five-hour standoff with police.
Both attackers, including the woman wearing an all-covering
robe known as a burqa, eventually blew themselves up.
They killed eight police officers and two civilians,
said Mohammad Hussain, another police official.
"This shows how much we hate Pakistani security
institutions," Pakistani Taliban spokesman Ahsanullah Ahsan
said by telephone from an undisclosed
Ahsan claimed it was the first time the militant group
had used a female suicide bomber.
However, Pakistani officials said a female suicide
bomber wearing a burqa attacked a World Food Programme food
distribution centre in northwestern Pakistan late last year,
killing 45 people.
The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for that
attack in Khar, the main city in the Bajur tribal area, but
never claimed it was carried out by a female bomber. Still
that was believed to be the group`s first attack by a female
Male suicide bombers often don the burqa as a
disguise. In 2007, officials initially claimed Pakistan`s
first female suicide bomber had killed 14 people in the
northwest town of Bannu. But the attacker was later identified
as a man.
Islamic militants in Iraq have used female suicide
bombers several times because women in their all-covering
robes are seen as able to pass more easily through security.
Male security officers are often hesitant to search
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands