Pak Taliban`s `fidayeen couple` in suicide bombing
Dera Ismail Khan: The Pakistani
Taliban on Sunday said the group had sent a husband and wife
suicide squad to carry out an attack on a police station in
northwestern Pakistan that killed 10 people, a rare instance
of militants using a woman as a bomber.
The pair entered the police station in Dera Ismail
Khan yesterday and said they were there to lodge a complaint,
said Imtiaz Shah, a senior police official.
Once inside, the two attacked with grenades and
machine guns, triggering a five-hour standoff with police.
Both attackers, including the woman wearing an all-covering
robe known as a burqa, eventually blew themselves up.
They killed eight police officers and two civilians,
said Mohammad Hussain, another police official.
"This shows how much we hate Pakistani security
institutions," Pakistani Taliban spokesman Ahsanullah Ahsan
said by telephone from an undisclosed
Ahsan claimed it was the first time the militant group
had used a female suicide bomber.
However, Pakistani officials said a female suicide
bomber wearing a burqa attacked a World Food Programme food
distribution centre in northwestern Pakistan late last year,
killing 45 people.
The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for that
attack in Khar, the main city in the Bajur tribal area, but
never claimed it was carried out by a female bomber. Still
that was believed to be the group`s first attack by a female
Male suicide bombers often don the burqa as a
disguise. In 2007, officials initially claimed Pakistan`s
first female suicide bomber had killed 14 people in the
northwest town of Bannu. But the attacker was later identified
as a man.
Islamic militants in Iraq have used female suicide
bombers several times because women in their all-covering
robes are seen as able to pass more easily through security.
Male security officers are often hesitant to search
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe