Pak terror accused seeks help against extradition to US
London: Pakistani student Tariq-ur-Rehman, who was arrested last year in Britain in connection with the bungled Easter bombing plot, has filed a petition with the Pakistan Chief Justice requesting him to take suo motu action to stop him from being extradited to the US.
Rehman, who was arrested along with 12 other Pakistani students in raids across Manchester last year for plotting attacks on shopping centres, has also been accused of plotting attacks on New York’s underground Metro system.
In his faxed petition, Rehman has appealed to the Chief Justice to take action against his possible extradition to the US while underlining that there is no extradition treaty between Pakistan and America.
“Whether there is an extradition treaty between US and Pakistan and can a citizen of Pakistan be removed to any other jurisdiction(s) ultra Constitutionally, ultra court attention and without necessary safeguards and guarantees afforded by the Constitution of Pakistan 1973,” the petition filed by Rehman’s lawyer stated.
Citing the case of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the alleged Pakistani Al Qaeda operative currently in US detention, Rehman’s petition said that he fears torture, inhuman treatment and prejudice against Muslims in the US.
“Whether Rehman would get a fair trial in the New York court due to the jury’s permanent bias against any of those accused alleged to be involved in support and or commission of terrorism offences and can the presumption of innocent until proven guilty be maintained by handing over and trying in a foreign jurisdiction keeping in mind Dr Aafia Siddiqui’s case,” The Nation quoted the petition, as saying.
“Petitioner must be offered due process of law and access to courts ensuring petitioner’s fundamental rights to a fair trial and that his family members are not removed from jurisdiction arbitrarily,” it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof