`Pak terror groups using kidnappings to earn`
Islamabad: Kidnapping for ransom has become a lucrative source of making money for terror groups such as the banned Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TPP), according to a report.
Last year, 10 cases of kidnapping for ransom were reported to Pakistani police.
In one of the cases, two victims were shot dead by their captors even after their families had fulfilled their ransom demands.
One of the violent kidnapping for ransom cases was reported to the Chontra police on June 20, in which a landlord Abdul Rashid was killed even after his family paid the ransom.
According to the Dawn, a senior police officer, who used to investigate kidnapping for ransom cases in the past, said there had been strong evidence that the ransom money obtained from the victims’ families was being used by terror groups.
The paper quoted the official, as saying that there were three types of groups of kidnappers.
The first is comprised those who had links with the TTP; the second group has been operating individually while the third one consisted of professional kidnappers, he said.
According to critics, sometimes in kidnapping for ransom cases the victim’s family has to make all-out efforts, either by arranging the ransom money or convincing the police or helping them in rounding up the culprit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’