`Pak terror groups using kidnappings to earn`
Islamabad: Kidnapping for ransom has become a lucrative source of making money for terror groups such as the banned Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TPP), according to a report.
Last year, 10 cases of kidnapping for ransom were reported to Pakistani police.
In one of the cases, two victims were shot dead by their captors even after their families had fulfilled their ransom demands.
One of the violent kidnapping for ransom cases was reported to the Chontra police on June 20, in which a landlord Abdul Rashid was killed even after his family paid the ransom.
According to the Dawn, a senior police officer, who used to investigate kidnapping for ransom cases in the past, said there had been strong evidence that the ransom money obtained from the victims’ families was being used by terror groups.
The paper quoted the official, as saying that there were three types of groups of kidnappers.
The first is comprised those who had links with the TTP; the second group has been operating individually while the third one consisted of professional kidnappers, he said.
According to critics, sometimes in kidnapping for ransom cases the victim’s family has to make all-out efforts, either by arranging the ransom money or convincing the police or helping them in rounding up the culprit.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know