Pak test fires nuclear-capable cruise missile
Islamabad: Pakistan on Thursday test fired nuclear-capable Hatf-7 cruise missile with a range of 600 km that can hit targets in India.
The test of the indigenously developed missile was "part of a process of validating the system," said a statement issued by the Inter-Services Public Relations.
The statement did not say where the test was conducted.
The successful test of Hatf-7 or Babur cruise missile was witnessed by Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Chairman Gen Khalid Shamim Wynne, who said the launch would "go a long way in consolidating Pakistan`s strategic deterrence capability and further strengthening national security”.
"Pakistan`s resolve and commitment to continue its strategic programme will remain paramount," he said.
The test was "warmly appreciated by the President and Prime Minister”, who congratulated the scientists and engineers on their success, the statement said.
The Director General of the Strategic Plans Division, Lt Gen (retd) Khalid Ahmed Kidwai, Army Strategic Force Command chief Lt Gen Jamil Haider, senior officers from the military and strategic organisations, scientists and engineers also witnessed the test.
The Babur can carry strategic or conventional warheads and has stealth capabilities, the statement said.
It is a "low flying, terrain-hugging missile with high manoeuvrability, pin-point accuracy and radar avoidance features”.
The missile also incorporates modern cruise missile technology of terrain contour matching (TERCOM) and digital scene matching and area co-relation (DSMAC), the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam