Pak test fires nuclear-capable cruise missile
Islamabad: Pakistan on Thursday test fired nuclear-capable Hatf-7 cruise missile with a range of 600 km that can hit targets in India.
The test of the indigenously developed missile was "part of a process of validating the system," said a statement issued by the Inter-Services Public Relations.
The statement did not say where the test was conducted.
The successful test of Hatf-7 or Babur cruise missile was witnessed by Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Chairman Gen Khalid Shamim Wynne, who said the launch would "go a long way in consolidating Pakistan`s strategic deterrence capability and further strengthening national security”.
"Pakistan`s resolve and commitment to continue its strategic programme will remain paramount," he said.
The test was "warmly appreciated by the President and Prime Minister”, who congratulated the scientists and engineers on their success, the statement said.
The Director General of the Strategic Plans Division, Lt Gen (retd) Khalid Ahmed Kidwai, Army Strategic Force Command chief Lt Gen Jamil Haider, senior officers from the military and strategic organisations, scientists and engineers also witnessed the test.
The Babur can carry strategic or conventional warheads and has stealth capabilities, the statement said.
It is a "low flying, terrain-hugging missile with high manoeuvrability, pin-point accuracy and radar avoidance features”.
The missile also incorporates modern cruise missile technology of terrain contour matching (TERCOM) and digital scene matching and area co-relation (DSMAC), the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister