Pak test fires nuclear-capable cruise missile
Islamabad: Pakistan on Thursday test fired nuclear-capable Hatf-7 cruise missile with a range of 600 km that can hit targets in India.
The test of the indigenously developed missile was "part of a process of validating the system," said a statement issued by the Inter-Services Public Relations.
The statement did not say where the test was conducted.
The successful test of Hatf-7 or Babur cruise missile was witnessed by Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Chairman Gen Khalid Shamim Wynne, who said the launch would "go a long way in consolidating Pakistan`s strategic deterrence capability and further strengthening national security”.
"Pakistan`s resolve and commitment to continue its strategic programme will remain paramount," he said.
The test was "warmly appreciated by the President and Prime Minister”, who congratulated the scientists and engineers on their success, the statement said.
The Director General of the Strategic Plans Division, Lt Gen (retd) Khalid Ahmed Kidwai, Army Strategic Force Command chief Lt Gen Jamil Haider, senior officers from the military and strategic organisations, scientists and engineers also witnessed the test.
The Babur can carry strategic or conventional warheads and has stealth capabilities, the statement said.
It is a "low flying, terrain-hugging missile with high manoeuvrability, pin-point accuracy and radar avoidance features”.
The missile also incorporates modern cruise missile technology of terrain contour matching (TERCOM) and digital scene matching and area co-relation (DSMAC), the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash