Pak test-fires short-range missile `Hatf III`
Islamabad: Pakistan on Tuesday successfully test-fired a short-range surface-to-surface ballistic missile Hatf III (Ghaznavi), capable of carrying nuclear and conventional warheads to a range of 290 kilometres, that could cover parts of India.
The "successful training launch" concluded the Field Training Exercise of Strategic Missile Group of Army Strategic Forces Command, the military said in a statement here.
The launch was witnessed by the Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Gen Rashad Mahmood, Director General Strategic Plans Division, Lt Gen Zubair Mahmood Hayat, Commander Army Strategic Forces Command, Lt Gen Obaid Ullah Khan, Chairman NESCOM Muhammad Irfan Burney and other senior military officials and scientists at an undisclosed location.
Addressing the troops in the exercise, Gen Mahmood commended the troops on achieving technical and operational excellence in operating the state-of-the-art weapon system, the statement said.
He "expressed his satisfaction over the training goals achieved during the exercise and expected that the officers and men entrusted with the task of deterring aggression would continue to maintain professional excellence", it said.
Gen Mahmood also congratulated all the scientists and engineers for the successful launch of Ghaznavi as another milestone which has further strengthened the defence potential of Pakistan besides ensuring peace in the region.
Pakistan`s President Mamnoon Hussain and Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif congratulated the participating troops, scientists and engineers for the successful launch of the missile, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!