Pak: Three killed in suicide attack on bus carrying Shias
Islamabad: At least three persons were killed and nine others injured when a suspected suicide bomber targeted a bus carrying Shia pilgrims in Balochistan province of southwest Pakistan Tuesday, officials said.
The suspected bomber rammed his explosives-laden car into the bus that was travelling from Taftan town on the border with Iran to the provincial capital of Quetta.
The incident occurred in Mastung district.
Three persons were killed instantly, officials of the local administration told the media.
Three personnel of the Levies militia and passengers of the bus were among the injured.
Shia pilgrims returning from Iran were travelling in the bus. Officials said they believed the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber.
Witnesses said the bus caught fire after the explosion. There were about 15 people in the bus at the time of the blast.
Footage on television showed debris strewn over a large area around the blackened and mangled remains of the bus.
A vehicle of the Levies militia that was escorting the bus was also damaged.
There have been a series of attacks against the minority Shia community across Balochistan this year, including in Mastung district. The province has also witnessed widespread ethnic violence.
Last week, 10 Pashtun men were killed and four others injured when gunmen attacked a group of labourers in Dasht area of Mastung.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video