Pak: Three killed in suicide attack on bus carrying Shias
Islamabad: At least three persons were killed and nine others injured when a suspected suicide bomber targeted a bus carrying Shia pilgrims in Balochistan province of southwest Pakistan Tuesday, officials said.
The suspected bomber rammed his explosives-laden car into the bus that was travelling from Taftan town on the border with Iran to the provincial capital of Quetta.
The incident occurred in Mastung district.
Three persons were killed instantly, officials of the local administration told the media.
Three personnel of the Levies militia and passengers of the bus were among the injured.
Shia pilgrims returning from Iran were travelling in the bus. Officials said they believed the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber.
Witnesses said the bus caught fire after the explosion. There were about 15 people in the bus at the time of the blast.
Footage on television showed debris strewn over a large area around the blackened and mangled remains of the bus.
A vehicle of the Levies militia that was escorting the bus was also damaged.
There have been a series of attacks against the minority Shia community across Balochistan this year, including in Mastung district. The province has also witnessed widespread ethnic violence.
Last week, 10 Pashtun men were killed and four others injured when gunmen attacked a group of labourers in Dasht area of Mastung.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow