Pak: Three killed in suicide attack on bus carrying Shias
Islamabad: At least three persons were killed and nine others injured when a suspected suicide bomber targeted a bus carrying Shia pilgrims in Balochistan province of southwest Pakistan Tuesday, officials said.
The suspected bomber rammed his explosives-laden car into the bus that was travelling from Taftan town on the border with Iran to the provincial capital of Quetta.
The incident occurred in Mastung district.
Three persons were killed instantly, officials of the local administration told the media.
Three personnel of the Levies militia and passengers of the bus were among the injured.
Shia pilgrims returning from Iran were travelling in the bus. Officials said they believed the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber.
Witnesses said the bus caught fire after the explosion. There were about 15 people in the bus at the time of the blast.
Footage on television showed debris strewn over a large area around the blackened and mangled remains of the bus.
A vehicle of the Levies militia that was escorting the bus was also damaged.
There have been a series of attacks against the minority Shia community across Balochistan this year, including in Mastung district. The province has also witnessed widespread ethnic violence.
Last week, 10 Pashtun men were killed and four others injured when gunmen attacked a group of labourers in Dasht area of Mastung.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Net Neutrality: Facebook board member's offensive tweet on 'colonialism' leaves Indians fuming
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- 'Heartbroken' Virat Kohli deletes, then re-posts his sad pic