Pak to buy Chinese J-10 fighters worth over USD 1.4bn
Islamabad: In a major move to boost its
air warfare capability, Pakistan is to purchase 36 J-10
fighter aircraft from China in a deal worth more than USD 1.4
billion, with options open for induction of more similar
China will supply the 36 J-10 fighter jets, enough to
equip two squadrons, under a preliminary agreement that could
lead to "more sales", a Pakistani official has said.
Pakistan might buy "larger numbers" of the multi-role
aircraft in the future but has not signed any deal to purchase
as many as 150 jets, the official told the Financial Times.
The J-10 or Jian 10 is China`s most advanced combat
aircraft and is the third generation fighter comparable to
American F-16 Fighting Falcons.
Islamabad and Beijing are also collaborating to build
an advanced fighter -- JF-17 or "Thunder" and the first of
these aircraft are expected to roll out by the end of this
month, Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman
China is one of the main arms suppliers of Pakistan
and has sold combat jets to it for over three decades. But
Beijing has seldom supplied Pakistan with advanced fighter
aircraft like the J-10.
Pakistan bought Mirage jets from France in the 1970s
and F-16s from the US in the 1980s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day