Pak to go for general election in May: Kaira
Lahore: Pakistan`s next general election will be held in May, Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira said Tuesday, offering for the first time a specific timeframe for the landmark polls.
"The general election will be held in May next year. In the presence of a vibrant media and independent judiciary, there is no chance of postponement of the elections," Kaira said during an interaction with senior journalists here.
The Pakistan People`s Party-led government will ensure free and fair polls under an independent interim caretaker set-up and the Election Commission, he said.
In the recent past, several leaders, including President Asif Ali Zardari, have said the polls will be held on time after the government completes its five-year term.
The upcoming polls will mark the first transfer of power from one democratically elected government to another in Pakistan`s history.
So far, no elected government has been able to complete its term. Pakistan has been ruled by the military for more than half its history. The PPP-led government is set to complete its tenure on March 16.
If the government completes its term, polls will have to be held within 60 days.
If polls are announced before a government completes its term, they must be held within 90 days.
After the government was troubled by a string of crises last year, including a standoff with the judiciary for reviving graft cases against Zardari and several allegations of corruption, there was considerable speculation that polls would be held ahead of schedule.
During his interaction with the media, Kaira spoke in favour of main opposition PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif, saying: "Those who think Nawaz Sharif can be kept away from the political process are living in a fool`s paradise."
He made the remarks in reference to calls for action against Sharif for allegedly accepting money from the military to rig the 1990 election.
The Supreme Court recently directed the government to take action against politicians who received payments in 1990.
The court issued the ruling in response to a petition filed by former air force chief Asghar Khan.
"It would have been better if the Supreme Court had given punishment to the characters involved in the Asghar Khan case," Kaira said.
He questioned the verdict in the case for imposing restrictions on the political activities of President Zardari.
"The President is the product of a political process and he will take part in politics while the Chief Justice is addressing public meetings of lawyers," Kaira said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27