Pak to go for general election in May: Kaira
Lahore: Pakistan`s next general election will be held in May, Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira said Tuesday, offering for the first time a specific timeframe for the landmark polls.
"The general election will be held in May next year. In the presence of a vibrant media and independent judiciary, there is no chance of postponement of the elections," Kaira said during an interaction with senior journalists here.
The Pakistan People`s Party-led government will ensure free and fair polls under an independent interim caretaker set-up and the Election Commission, he said.
In the recent past, several leaders, including President Asif Ali Zardari, have said the polls will be held on time after the government completes its five-year term.
The upcoming polls will mark the first transfer of power from one democratically elected government to another in Pakistan`s history.
So far, no elected government has been able to complete its term. Pakistan has been ruled by the military for more than half its history. The PPP-led government is set to complete its tenure on March 16.
If the government completes its term, polls will have to be held within 60 days.
If polls are announced before a government completes its term, they must be held within 90 days.
After the government was troubled by a string of crises last year, including a standoff with the judiciary for reviving graft cases against Zardari and several allegations of corruption, there was considerable speculation that polls would be held ahead of schedule.
During his interaction with the media, Kaira spoke in favour of main opposition PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif, saying: "Those who think Nawaz Sharif can be kept away from the political process are living in a fool`s paradise."
He made the remarks in reference to calls for action against Sharif for allegedly accepting money from the military to rig the 1990 election.
The Supreme Court recently directed the government to take action against politicians who received payments in 1990.
The court issued the ruling in response to a petition filed by former air force chief Asghar Khan.
"It would have been better if the Supreme Court had given punishment to the characters involved in the Asghar Khan case," Kaira said.
He questioned the verdict in the case for imposing restrictions on the political activities of President Zardari.
"The President is the product of a political process and he will take part in politics while the Chief Justice is addressing public meetings of lawyers," Kaira said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo