Pak to honour Holbrooke with `Hilal-e-Pakistan`
Islamabad: Pakistan will posthumously confer
one of its highest civilian honours on late US Special Envoy
for Af-Pak region Richard Holbrooke for his "untiring efforts"
to strengthen this country`s ties with America.
President Asif Ali Zardari said that the
`Hilal-e-Pakistan` will be awarded to Holbrooke, who died on
Tuesday of complications from surgery, for his meritorious
services in enhancing the bilateral ties.
He made the announcement during a visit to the US embassy
yesterday to offer his condolences at the death of Holbrooke.
Recording his message in the embassy`s condolence book,
Zardari wrote: "Pakistanis, like many other around the world,
mourn the death of Ambassador Richard Holbrooke, a great
intellect and force for good, a personal friend of Pakistan,
my wife Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto and myself."
He wrote that Holbrooke`s "untiring efforts to enhance
US-Pakistan relations and his assistance during the Swat
crisis and the devastating floods that have affected Pakistan
will never be forgotten".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre