Pak to raise issue of drone strikes during Kerry`s visit
Islamabad: Pakistan will raise the issue of US drone attacks in its tribal belt during US Secretary of State John Kerry`s visit to the country later this month, the Foreign Ministry said on Friday.
Foreign Office spokesman Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhary said at his weekly briefing that exact dates and agenda of the visit are being finalised by the two countries.
To a question, he said the US drone strikes constitute breach of Pakistan`s sovereignty, violation of international law and human rights besides being counter-productive to the fight against terror.
"The issue has been taken up with the United States and it would also be taken up again in forthcoming contacts with the United States."
Shortly after being elected Prime Minister, Sharif had said the attacks by US drones in Pakistan`s tribal belt should stop.
He described the attacks as a violation of the country`s sovereignty.
The strikes by the CIA-operated spy planes are criticised by the Pakistan government as counter-productive for the war on terror.
US officials say the drones are a vital weapon in the campaign against militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown