Pak to raise issue of drone strikes during Kerry`s visit
Islamabad: Pakistan will raise the issue of US drone attacks in its tribal belt during US Secretary of State John Kerry`s visit to the country later this month, the Foreign Ministry said on Friday.
Foreign Office spokesman Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhary said at his weekly briefing that exact dates and agenda of the visit are being finalised by the two countries.
To a question, he said the US drone strikes constitute breach of Pakistan`s sovereignty, violation of international law and human rights besides being counter-productive to the fight against terror.
"The issue has been taken up with the United States and it would also be taken up again in forthcoming contacts with the United States."
Shortly after being elected Prime Minister, Sharif had said the attacks by US drones in Pakistan`s tribal belt should stop.
He described the attacks as a violation of the country`s sovereignty.
The strikes by the CIA-operated spy planes are criticised by the Pakistan government as counter-productive for the war on terror.
US officials say the drones are a vital weapon in the campaign against militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof