Pak to return tail of Osama raid chopper
Islamabad: Pakistan has agreed to return the tail of the American stealth-modified military helicopter that was damaged during the May 2 raid that killed Al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden, US Senator John Kerry has said.
The chopper, which aviation experts believe to be a highly classified modified version of a Blackhawk helicopter, clipped a wall during ‘Operation Geronimo’, the White House said.
The US Navy SEALs, who rode in on the chopper, attempted to destroy it after abandoning it on the ground, but a significant portion of the tail section survived the explosion, and photos of it quickly made their way into public view.
A Pakistani official told ABC News earlier this month that the Chinese were also "very interested" in seeing the remains.
Another official said, "We might let them [the Chinese] take a look."
The helicopter’s remains had apparently become another chip in a tense, high-stakes game of diplomacy between the US and Pakistan following the US`` unilateral military raid of bin Laden’s compound inside Pakistan.
Senator Kerry, who is the first high-level US envoy to visit Pakistan since the killing of bin Laden, said that Pakistan has agreed to return the tail of the US helicopter, The Washington Post reports.
The handover of the helicopter tail, to be made Tuesday, is one result of several high-level meetings Kerry said he held with Pakistani officials to alleviate strains between the two allies, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur