Karachi/Islamabad: Pakistan will seek
Interpol help to bring back Pervez Musharraf to face trial
over ex-Premier Benazir Bhutto`s assassination, Interior
Minister Rehman Malik said on Tuesday, a month after the former
military ruler deferred indefinitely plans to return home to
68-year-old Musharraf has been accused of failing to
provide adequate security to Bhutto, who was murdered in 2007
during his tenure.
"The court has already declared him (Musharraf) a
proclaimed offender and now the government is moving for a Red
(Corner) Notice. We will get him through the Interpol to
Pakistan to face trial," Malik said during a special briefing
for members of the assembly of southern Sindh province in
The briefing by Malik and senior police and Federal
Investigation Agency (FIA) officials was aired live by TV news
Malik said several attempts to serve notices issued by an
anti-terrorism court to Musharraf through the Pakistan High
Commission in Britain were unsuccessful.
Musharraf, who has been living in self-exile in London
and Dubai since he resigned in 2008, last month deferred
indefinitely his plans to return to Pakistan to stage a
political comeback, citing security reasons.
Khalid Qureshi, the officer heading the investigation
into Bhutto`s assassination by a suicide bomber in Rawalpindi
on December 27, 2007, said Musharraf was named in the
chargesheet as he had failed to provide the "VVIP security"
that Bhutto was entitled to as a two-time former Premier.