Pak troops kill 80 militants in Orakzai region
Peshawar: Eighty Taliban fighters were
killed and 60 more injured when helicopter gunships pounded
militant hideouts in volatile Orakzai tribal region in
northwest Pakistan, security officials said.
The gunship helicopters targeted militant positions at
Dabori, Shaikhan, Baran, Sarmabosar, Khatango Ghar, Mir Ghar
Sarohela and Anjani areas of Orakzai Agency, which borders
A dozen explosive-laden vehicles and 11 bunkers were
destroyed in the air strikes, the officials said, adding 12
mules used by militants for transporting supplies were also
killed in the bombardment.
Troops also advanced to Ghoz Ghwar area where they
repulsed an offensive by militants and seized a cache of arms
Security forces have stepped up combing operations
against the Taliban rebels in Orakzai Agency. The Taliban
moved to the region after the army launched an operation in
South Waziristan Agency.
Officials have claimed that over 800 militants have
been killed since the army launched an offensive against the
Taliban in the region earlier this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir