Pak troops kill 80 militants in Orakzai region
Peshawar: Eighty Taliban fighters were
killed and 60 more injured when helicopter gunships pounded
militant hideouts in volatile Orakzai tribal region in
northwest Pakistan, security officials said.
The gunship helicopters targeted militant positions at
Dabori, Shaikhan, Baran, Sarmabosar, Khatango Ghar, Mir Ghar
Sarohela and Anjani areas of Orakzai Agency, which borders
A dozen explosive-laden vehicles and 11 bunkers were
destroyed in the air strikes, the officials said, adding 12
mules used by militants for transporting supplies were also
killed in the bombardment.
Troops also advanced to Ghoz Ghwar area where they
repulsed an offensive by militants and seized a cache of arms
Security forces have stepped up combing operations
against the Taliban rebels in Orakzai Agency. The Taliban
moved to the region after the army launched an operation in
South Waziristan Agency.
Officials have claimed that over 800 militants have
been killed since the army launched an offensive against the
Taliban in the region earlier this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...