Pak troops kill 80 militants in Orakzai region
Peshawar: Eighty Taliban fighters were
killed and 60 more injured when helicopter gunships pounded
militant hideouts in volatile Orakzai tribal region in
northwest Pakistan, security officials said.
The gunship helicopters targeted militant positions at
Dabori, Shaikhan, Baran, Sarmabosar, Khatango Ghar, Mir Ghar
Sarohela and Anjani areas of Orakzai Agency, which borders
A dozen explosive-laden vehicles and 11 bunkers were
destroyed in the air strikes, the officials said, adding 12
mules used by militants for transporting supplies were also
killed in the bombardment.
Troops also advanced to Ghoz Ghwar area where they
repulsed an offensive by militants and seized a cache of arms
Security forces have stepped up combing operations
against the Taliban rebels in Orakzai Agency. The Taliban
moved to the region after the army launched an operation in
South Waziristan Agency.
Officials have claimed that over 800 militants have
been killed since the army launched an offensive against the
Taliban in the region earlier this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- IIT-Guwahati student develops a mobile app to monitor indoor air quality
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list