Pak troops kill militant commander in Swat valley
Islamabad: Pakistani security forces killed a militant commander and captured nine suspects during search and clearance operations in the country`s troubled northwestern Swat valley, the military said on Thursday.
Militant commander Iqbal alias Islam was killed and a large quantity of ammunition, grenades and equipment were seized during operations at Banpur Sar in Swat, where troops have wrested control of most areas from the Taliban.
Troops apprehended nine suspects from different areas of Swat, including Manglour, Kokari, Dahro and Godhand.
Two militants surrendered to security forces at Fiza Ghat and Nagga, the military said in a statement.
Security forces also seized several 60 mm mortar shells from an area east of Kabal, a former Taliban stronghold.
Over 2,000 militants have been killed in Swat and other parts of the Malakand division since the Army launched an operation in the region in May.
Over 300 soldiers have also died in the fighting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report