Pak troops nab 19 militants in Swat, Waziristan
Islamabad/Peshawar: Pakistani troops
captured 19 militants during operations in the northwestern
Swat valley and South Waziristan tribal region, authorities
said on Tuesday.
Seventeen militants were apprehended by troops during
search operations in different parts of Swat, the military
The security forces also recovered a cache of arms and
ammunition while four militants surrendered at Shahdand Banda
and Bara Banda.
In South Waziristan, a cache of arms and ammunition was
seized and two suspects were captured when security forces
cleared several areas in Jandola sector.
Troops also sanitised several areas and consolidated
their positions in Shakai sector.
During a search operation in Razmak sector, soldiers
found and destroyed 37 militant-held compounds and two
Militants attacked security forces with rockets near
Spinkai Narai in Razmak sector though there were no reports of
The troops retaliated against the attack, the military
Meanwhile, the federal government has sought the help of
tribal elders for flushing out militants from Kurram tribal
The militants have occupied hilltops in the area and
could easily target the public and security forces from these
positions, officials said.
According to a rough estimate, over 800 militants linked
to different banned groups have taken refuge atop hills in
Arghnija Pati area in central Kurram Agency.
The militants are armed with weapons like missiles.
Officials of the local political administration went to
upper Kurram Agency and held talks with tribal elders on steps
to counter the threat from militants.
The elders said they would extend support and assistance
to the government for taking action against the rebels.
The elders said they had been telling the government for
quite some time about the presence of a large number of
militants in Kurram Agency and demanding military action to
flush them out.
The sectarian unrest in Kurram has been fomented by the
militants, they said.
The elders also demanded air strikes on militant
positions in the mountains in central Kurram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof