`Pak troops to remain in Waziristan till peace is restored`
Islamabad: Pakistani troops will remain in Waziristan till complete peace is restored in the tribal region bordering Afghanistan, Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Pervez Kayani said on Thursday.
The Army is engaged in Waziristan to "bring peace and provide protection to the people" so that they can live a peaceful life, Kayani said during the inauguration of the third trade corridor along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border.
"The Army will stay in the area till complete peace is restored," he said.
Due to the efforts of the Army, the operation against terrorists was completed in a month, he added.
Kayani appealed to the people of the area, who left because of the operation, to return to their homes and resume their normal life.
The 50-km road from Wana to Angoor Adda in South Waziristan Agency was built at a cost of $40 million with financial aid from the UAE.
Kayani said the government was working on a plan to ensure the development of Waziristan by providing civic amenities to the people and constructing roads to link the region to the rest of the country.
The new road was inaugurated by Kayani and the Ambassador of the UAE.
Later, Kayani visited the Khyber tribal region to monitor operations against a terrorist stronghold in Maidan area of Tirah Valley.
Talking to troops, he lauded the swift and successful completion of operations and "eviction of all terrorists, including foreigners".
Despite difficulties, all possible care must be taken to ensure that the people do not suffer needlessly and internally displaced persons are rehabilitated as early as possible, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation