Pak: Umar Gul`s house raided in search of militant
Islamabad: Pakistan Army commandos raided cricketer Umar Gul`s house in Peshawar and arrested his brother on charges of harbouring a wanted militant, according to a media report on Wednesday.
The fast bowler`s brother, Meraj, was arrested with two other men on charges of providing shelter to his uncle, Haji Daly, believed to be an active member of the banned Lashkar-e-Islam, The Express Tribune reported.
A local resident told the newspaper that a team of commandos raided the house yesterday.
Two paramedics, Younas and Shakil, were among those arrested. They were moved to an undisclosed location.
An official of the local police station claimed Haji Daly was injured in an operation by armed forces at Bara in Khyber tribal region, and had fled to Peshawar and lived with Meraj for several days before leaving the city.
The Khyber Agency is a stronghold of the Lashkar-e-Islam.
"The injured man was brought to Hayatabad Medical Complex with two local paramedics who changed his bandages," the official said.
The injured man left the hospital without his identity being ascertained, he said.
Reports indicated that the two arrested paramedics are employees of a maternity home located adjacent to Gul’s house.
Gul`s family owns the maternity home. However, members of Gul`s family declined to comment on the matter. A cousin of Gul confirmed that a raid had been carried out and three people were arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30