Pak urges US to hasten aid for Swat
Islamabad: Pakistan has once again urged the United States to hasten the process of passing the Kerry-Lugar and ROZ bills through the Congress to facilitate early release of funds for establishing health and infrastructure facilities in the war ravaged Swat and Malakand Divisions.
Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani urged the US Congressional delegation comprising Congressmen Adam Smith and Bobby Neal and Congresswoman Gabrielle Gifford to release the funds as soon as possible.
During the meeting with the delegation, which is on a visit to Pakistan currently, Gilani also stressed that the aid should be channelized through country’s established mechanism in order to reduce the massive administrative expenditure.
Gilani said security forces deployed in Swat and other parts of the valley needed immediate supply of ammunition to counter the extremist threat effectively and succeed in the war against militancy.
He also underlined that Pakistan’s Armed Forces needed urgent replenishment of aviation spares and ammunition as well as the much-needed helicopters for counter insurgency operations.
Gilani reiterated the demand for drone technology to enable security forces to carry out attacks against terrorists and prevent the US from facing the negative fallout of the missile strikes.
He also emphasised the need for the exchange of actionable real time intelligence between the two countries, The Nation reports.
During the talks, the US delegation recognized that poverty and lack of opportunities were the root causes behind the spread of militancy and terrorism in Pakistan.
The delegation believed that these two reasons should be addressed on a priority basis to root out the menace of terrorism from the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users