Pak urges US to hasten aid for Swat
Islamabad: Pakistan has once again urged the United States to hasten the process of passing the Kerry-Lugar and ROZ bills through the Congress to facilitate early release of funds for establishing health and infrastructure facilities in the war ravaged Swat and Malakand Divisions.
Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani urged the US Congressional delegation comprising Congressmen Adam Smith and Bobby Neal and Congresswoman Gabrielle Gifford to release the funds as soon as possible.
During the meeting with the delegation, which is on a visit to Pakistan currently, Gilani also stressed that the aid should be channelized through country’s established mechanism in order to reduce the massive administrative expenditure.
Gilani said security forces deployed in Swat and other parts of the valley needed immediate supply of ammunition to counter the extremist threat effectively and succeed in the war against militancy.
He also underlined that Pakistan’s Armed Forces needed urgent replenishment of aviation spares and ammunition as well as the much-needed helicopters for counter insurgency operations.
Gilani reiterated the demand for drone technology to enable security forces to carry out attacks against terrorists and prevent the US from facing the negative fallout of the missile strikes.
He also emphasised the need for the exchange of actionable real time intelligence between the two countries, The Nation reports.
During the talks, the US delegation recognized that poverty and lack of opportunities were the root causes behind the spread of militancy and terrorism in Pakistan.
The delegation believed that these two reasons should be addressed on a priority basis to root out the menace of terrorism from the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Panel discussion over rights of Muslim women
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train - Part II
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...