Pak: US drone strike kills 13 suspected militants
Islamabad: At least 13 suspected militants
were on Friday killed after a US drone targeted a house and a
vehicle in the restive South Waziristan tribal region of
Pakistan, officials said.
Local residents said the spy plane fired two missiles at
the house and the vehicle in Mandao area of South Waziristan
Agency, where the Pakistan Army had conducted a major
offensive to flush out militants.
The identity of the dead men could not immediately be
Local residents said they had seen several drones hovering
over the area, located along the boundary between South and
There have been around a dozen drone attacks in Pakistan?s
tribal belt this year.
At least 40 people were killed in these missile strikes,
most of which were carried out in North Waziristan Agency.
Today`s drone attack took place hours after al Qaeda
confirmed that a strike in North Waziristan last month killed
commanders Badr Mansoor, who was believed to be behind many
Following a spike in tensions between the US and Pakistan
in the wake of the American raid that killed Osama bin Laden,
the number of drone attacks dropped last year.
The use of the CIA-operated spy planes was cut back
further after a cross-border NATO air strike killed 24
Pakistani soldiers in November.
Pakistani officials publicly describe the missile attacks
as "counter-productive" but reports have said the government
has extended tacit support to the drone campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai