Pak, US step up contacts to defuse tensions
Islamabad: Pakistan and the US today stepped
up contacts to defuse tensions triggered by American
allegations that the ISI was waging a proxy war in Afghanistan
through the Haqqani network, with US envoy Cameron Munter
meeting Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir for the second time in
as many days.
Munter met Bashir at the Foreign Ministry to discuss ways
to reduce tensions and bring relations between the estranged
allies in the war on terror back on an even keel, diplomatic
Munter had met the Foreign Secretary yesterday after his
return from Washington.
Following yesterday`s meeting, Foreign Office
spokesperson Tehmina Janjua said in a message posted on
Twitter that the talks between the two officials were a
follow-up to the meeting between US Secretary of State Hillary
Clinton and Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar in the US on
"Both agreed on dialogue, deeper engagement at all
levels," she said.
Pakistan and the US have had heated exchanges after
American military chief Adm Mike Mullen accused the
Inter-Services Intelligence of backing the Haqqani network in
carrying out terror attacks in Afghanistan.
He described the Haqqani network as a "veritable arm" of
Interior Minister Rehman Malik today said Pakistan
expects the US and other allies to recognise its sacrifices in
the war on terror as the country has lost 36,000 innocent
lives and 68 billion dollars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video