Pak welcomes US designation of TTP as foreign terrorist org
Islamabad: Pakistan on Thursday welcomed the
decision of the United States to designate the Tehrik-e-
Taliban Pakistan as a "foreign terrorist organisation".
Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit told a weekly
news briefing that Pakistan welcomes the US administration’s
He was responding to a question.
The US yesterday designated the Pakistani Taliban a
foreign terrorist group and charged its leader, Hakimullah
Mehsud, with involvement in a December 2009 suicide attack
that killed seven CIA operatives at a forward base in
The move marks an effort to expand the US campaign
against the Pakistani Taliban beyond drone strikes and other
means used to target militants.
The Pakistani Taliban recently expanded its agenda to
include attacks in the US.
The group claimed responsibility for equipping and
training Faisal Shahzad, the Pakistani-American behind the
botched car bomb attack in Times Square on May 1.
Replying to another question, spokesman Basit said
Pakistan also welcomed the US decision to withdraw its troops
from Iraq, saying this will bring a new turn and inject
stability in that country.
In response to a question about the situation in
Afghanistan, Basit said Pakistan believes that the US is
committed for bringing stability to the war-torn country and
is implementing a holistic policy announced by President
Barack Obama last year.
Pakistan hopes this international commitment to
Afghanistan will continue till credible stability is
established in the country, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Rajinikanth doing well, in US for medical test: Brother
- Pakistan admits stalling India's NSG bid; says will not back down from 'principled stand' on Kashmir
- Euro 2016: Italy vs Spain - As it happened...
- When Lady Gaga met Dalai Lama!
- After Zuckerberg, OurMine hacks Sundar Pichai's Quora and Twitter accounts!