Pak welcomes US designation of TTP as foreign terrorist org
Islamabad: Pakistan on Thursday welcomed the
decision of the United States to designate the Tehrik-e-
Taliban Pakistan as a "foreign terrorist organisation".
Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit told a weekly
news briefing that Pakistan welcomes the US administration’s
He was responding to a question.
The US yesterday designated the Pakistani Taliban a
foreign terrorist group and charged its leader, Hakimullah
Mehsud, with involvement in a December 2009 suicide attack
that killed seven CIA operatives at a forward base in
The move marks an effort to expand the US campaign
against the Pakistani Taliban beyond drone strikes and other
means used to target militants.
The Pakistani Taliban recently expanded its agenda to
include attacks in the US.
The group claimed responsibility for equipping and
training Faisal Shahzad, the Pakistani-American behind the
botched car bomb attack in Times Square on May 1.
Replying to another question, spokesman Basit said
Pakistan also welcomed the US decision to withdraw its troops
from Iraq, saying this will bring a new turn and inject
stability in that country.
In response to a question about the situation in
Afghanistan, Basit said Pakistan believes that the US is
committed for bringing stability to the war-torn country and
is implementing a holistic policy announced by President
Barack Obama last year.
Pakistan hopes this international commitment to
Afghanistan will continue till credible stability is
established in the country, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi