Pak woman lawmaker succumbs to bullet injuries
Lahore: A Pakistani woman parliamentarian, who was critically injured in a gun attack by unidentified men two days ago, succumbed to her injuries early morning today at a local hospital.
Mutahidda Quami Movement (MQM) lawmaker Tahira Asif had left her residence on Wednesday and was going to Islamabad to attend the National Assembly session when two motorcyclist intercepted her car at Iqbal Town area and opened fire on her, police said.
She suffered three bullets injuries and was shifted to Sheikh Zayed Hospital, where a senior doctor said, "35pints of blood was transfused during a surgery and the doctors tried their best to save her life but to no avail. She breathed her last on early hours today."
Police were investigating different aspects with special focus on robbery, Acting Lahore police chief Zulfiqar Hamid said, adding "Tahira was also indulged a property dispute with some people, and we are looking into this aspect as well."
On the basis of a complaint by Tahira`s husband, Muhammad Asif, assistant director at the Federal Investigation Agency, an FIR has been registered against the unidentified gunmen. "We have no enmity with anyone and it is a case of target killing," Asif said.
Meanwhile, MQM convener Khalid Maqbol said, "Tahira`s murder was a target attack and it seems that she has been targeted to terrorise MQM in Punjab province." The party has announced a three-day mourning over her demise. MQM chief Altaf Husain demanded Punjab police to arrest her killers with-in three days. Tahira, who was in her early 50s, is survived by two sons and a daughter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city