Pak won’t handover ex-ISI chief to Bosnia tribunal

Last Updated: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 12:25

Islamabad: Pakistan has refused to hand over
a retired general, who headed the spy agency ISI, to an
international tribunal investigating war crimes in Bosnia,
according to a media report today.

The Pakistan government cited medical grounds as its
reason for not handing over former Inter-Services Intelligence
chief Lt Gen (retired) Javed Nasir to the International
Tribunal of Hague, official sources were quoted as saying by
The Express Tribune newspaper.

The tribunal had demanded custody of Nasir for his
alleged support to Bosnian Muslim fighters despite an embargo
by the United Nations. The Bosnian Muslims were fighting
against the Serbian army in the 1990s.

Pakistan has informed the international court that Nasir
"lost his memory" following a recent road accident and was
unable to face any investigation into the issue.

Nasir himself was unavailable for comment.
His son, Omer Javed, said the former general was not in
service during the Bosnian war of 1993-95 as he had been
"removed from the army" by then.

The summons for Nasir came when Serbian army officials
were put on trial by the international tribunal for war crimes
and crimes against humanity in Bosnia.

It was then revealed that Nasir was actively involved in
the war and had supported and provided arms to the Bosnian
Muslim resistance.

The case was built on a "confessional statement" that
Nasir made in a petition filed by his lawyer against an
English daily after it published a report of his alleged
involvement in embezzlement.

In the petition filed in an anti-terrorism court in
Lahore on October 23, 2002, Nasir disclosed that "despite the
UN ban on supply of arms to the besieged Bosnians, he
successfully airlifted sophisticated anti-tank guided
missiles, which turned the tide in favour of Bosnian Muslims
and forced the Serbs to lift the siege, much to the annoyance
of the US government".

Nasir further said in the petition that he subsequently
"became a target of US, Indian and secular-minded lobbies both
inside and outside Pakistan".

Having failed to buy him off, the US government started a
propaganda campaign against him, he claimed.

Nasir further claimed the US demanded his removal as ISI
chief and warned that it would otherwise declare Pakistan "a
terrorist state".

He further claimed that over 300 articles were circulated
on the internet by the Western media that contained references
describing him as the "only radical Islamist head of the ISI
who was an active member of the Tableeghi Jamaat".

In April 1993, the US finally warned Pakistan in writing
to remove Nasir from the post of ISI chief, following which
the general was prematurely retired from service by the
caretaker government of Mir Balkh Sher Mazari on May 13, 1993,
the petition said.

The demand for Nasir`s custody came when the
international tribunal put on trial the former chief of the
Yugoslav army, Gen Momcilo Perisic, and his deputy Gen Ratko
Mladic for war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Perisic and Ratko reportedly told the court that military
help to Bosnian Muslims by Nasir forced them to retaliate
against the Muslims, who were fighting the Serbian army for
national independence.

PTI



First Published: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 12:14

comments powered by Disqus