‘Pak working with US to resolve all issues’
Islamabad: Amidst reports that it is mulling possible compromises in its efforts to obtain an apology from the US for a cross-border NATO air strike, Pakistan on Thursday said it was working with Washington at different levels to resolve all outstanding issues including drone strikes.
"There is a need to resolve all issues with the US," Foreign Office spokesman Moazzam Khan said during a weekly news briefing.
There has been interaction between Pakistan and the US at various levels to resolve outstanding issues in a mutually beneficial and mutually acceptable manner, he said.
Pakistan is currently holding talks to reset its relations with the US in line with recommendations adopted at a joint sitting of parliament and everything will be decided in the context of these guidelines, including the issue of reopening supply routes to Afghanistan that were closed after a cross-border NATO air strike that killed 24 soldiers, he said.
On the issue of drone strikes, Khan said Pakistan has a clear stance and considers them illegal, a violation of the country`s territorial sovereignty and counter-productive.
Without giving details, Khan said Islamabad is interested in finding an alternative to the drones.
Meanwhile, a media report today had said Pakistan is considering the possibility of making compromises in its efforts to obtain an apology from the US for the NATO air strike.
The issue was discussed at a meeting of the top civilian and military leadership chaired yesterday by President Asif Ali Zardari.
The meeting was convened to explore ways to end a stalemate caused by Pakistan`s demand for an apology for the NATO attack.
"We discussed various formulations for the demands to be made from the US, including the text of a possible apology statement that would not only be acceptable to us, but would also help the Americans overcome their reluctance in apologising," a source was quoted as saying by the Dawn daily.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened