‘Pak yet to get $1 bn from US Coalition Support Fund`
Islamabad: Pakistan is owed more than USD one billion from the US Coalition Support Fund as reimbursements for its expenses in the war on terrorism, presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar said on Sunday.
"Pakistan is yet to receive more than one billion dollars from the CSF, which is Pakistan`s right," Babar told the media.
He indicated the matter had figured in discussions between Pakistan and the US but did not say whether President Asif Ali Zardari would raise the matter during the NATO Summit in Chicago.
The President will present Pakistan`s views regarding the war on terrorism and its dire consequences on the country’s economy, Babar said.
"We are with the international community in the fight against this menace but it cannot be won by military means only. Poverty and unemployment are two big reasons for extremism," he said.
According to a government estimate, Pakistan has suffered losses of USD 68 billion due to its participation in the US-led war on terrorism.
During ongoing negotiations on ending a nearly six-month blockade of NATO supply routes, Pakistani officials have called on the US to also pay for the damage done to roads by thousands of containers and tankers that ferried supplies and fuel to foreign forces in Afghanistan.
Pakistan closed the supply lines in November after a cross-border NATO air strike killed 24 of its soldiers.
Negotiations between Islamabad and Washington on reopening the supply routes have been held up by differences on the fees to be paid for NATO containers passing through Pakistani territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?