Pakistan: 14 gunned down in Karachi
Islamabad: At least 14 people, including a leader of Pashtoon group Awami National Party (ANP), have been shot dead in the Pakistani port city of Karachi, officials said on Saturday. At least 75 suspects have been arrested.
One firing incident took place in the Banaras Bridge area of the city on Friday. Unidentified gunmen opened fire at a bike and a car, injuring five people. Four of them died in hospital late Friday night, Geo News reported.
The ANP said a local leader, Hidayatullah Mehsud, was shot dead in Mangophir area, Xinhua reported.
In Up Mor, armed men opened fire at a bus, killing the driver, while in Defence Phase II, gunmen shot at a car at a petrol pump.
Paramilitary personnel and police conducted raids in many areas and arrested 75 people.
A police constable was among those killed in the attacks.
Major markets of the city were on Saturday closed and public transport was not seen on many roads as the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) called for a "mourning day".
Angry mobs burnt tyres in different parts of the city on Saturday, disrupting traffic.
MQM chief Altaf Hussain urged the business community to support his party`s call by keeping their businesses shut.
Petrol stations and private educational institutions were also closed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India