Pakistan: 154 lawmakers suspended
Islamabad: The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on Monday temporarily suspended the membership of 154 federal and provincial lawmakers for failing to submit details of their assets and liabilities.
Those suspended include 31 members of the National Assembly - the lower house - and eight members of the Senate or upper house, as well as 115 members of the four provincial assemblies, Xinhua reported.
The ECP said the lawmakers will remain suspended until they submit their declarations.
All the suspended lawmakers have been stopped from working with immediate effect.
"Suspended members cannot attend proceedings of their respective houses and cannot vote for any legislation," the ECP said.
The Constitution of Pakistan binds every member of provincial and national assemblies to file details of his/her and his/her dependents` assets by September 30 every year.
According to the law, the ECP has to issue a notification of suspension on October 15, barring the members from taking part in proceedings of their respective houses.
In 2011, the membership of 222 lawmakers was suspended due to the same reason. They were later reinstated after the submission of the required assets details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31