Pakistan: 18 killed, 40 injured in suicide attack
Islamabad: Eighteen people were killed and over 40 others injured today when a suicide bomber rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into the office of a pro-government militia in the restive Darra Adam Khel region of northwest Pakistan.
The powerful blast ripped through the office of the "aman committee" or militia in the central market of Darra Adam Khel. Members of the militia, formed to fight the Taliban, and tribal elders were among the dead and injured.
Sixteen people were killed instantly and the others died later in hospital. Two children were among the injured.
People with serious injuries were rushed to the Lady Reading Hospital in Peshawar,the capital of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
Officials at the hospital said they had received six bodies and more than 30 injured, including seven who were in a serious condition. More than 30 shops and eight cars were destroyed by the blast, police officials and witnesses said.
No group claimed responsibility for the incident though such attacks are usually blamed on the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, which has targeted government-backed militias in the past.
The Taliban had a strong presence in the Darra Adam Khel region till the Army launched an operation to flush them out of the area in 2009.
Today`s attack came four days after the Taliban tried to assassinate teenage rights activist Malala Yousufzai in their former stronghold of Swat.
The 14-year-old is currently in the critical care unit of
a military hospital in Rawalpindi and the attack on her has been condemned by people across Pakistan.
Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Information Minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain said the militants were trying to increase pressure on the authorities following reports that a fresh operation could be launched against them in the tribal belt.
"Following a meeting of the President and the army chief, there are indications that an operation may be launched. In the past too, the militants tried to create pressure in Peshawar and nearby areas so that no operations are launched against them," he told reporters after visiting those injured in today`s attack.
"We think that when there is no success in ushering in peace through talks, then the time has come to take effective action against them instead of them attacking us. We have to make sacrifices even if no action is taken and it is better to take effective action and make sacrifices to restore peace," said Hussain, whose only son was gunned down by the Taliban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi