Pakistan, a ‘factory of issuing fatwas’: PUC chief
Lahore: Pakistan has become a factory of issuing fatwas (religious edicts), Pakistan Ulema Counsel (PUC) Chairman Allama Tahir Ashrafi has said.
Speaking on a TV programme, Ashrafi said all sects had been issuing fatwas against each other in Pakistan, neglecting the injunctions of the Holy Quran and Hadith.
There should be fatwas against those who breach law and become ‘heroes’ in the society, he said, adding that there would be anarchy and injustice in the society if every school of thought started defending its so-called heroes.
He said no madrassa teacher, even a Sheikhul Hadith, had the right to issue fatwas, and quoted Imam Ahmed Bin Humbal as saying that only Darul Iftah muftis could issue fatwas, adding that they should be Muslims and religious persons, and not hypocrites.
He also condemned the circulation of fatwas through mobile phone messaging or emails, saying that it had nothing to do with Islam, the Daily Times reported.
He further said ulema should also condemn those who killed others and issued unauthentic edicts, as only the court (Qazi) is authorised to determine punishment against a convict.
Talking about the controversial issue of blasphemy in Pakistan, Ashrafi said declaring capital punishment or accusing someone of committing blasphemy just because of having a difference of opinion was not permissible in Islam.
The religious parties involved in politics should avoid highlighting such issues, as their vote bank happen to be in areas where women are subjected to hatred, disrespect or they do not have the right to vote, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi