Pakistan a ‘failed state’: US Congressman
Washington: US Congressman Dana Rohrabacher has written a letter to Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, condemning the recent violence in Balochistan and has called the country a “failed state”.
Congressman Rohrabacher, in his letter, says, “It has become increasingly clear to members of the US Congress that Pakistan is a failed state and no amount of US aid money will ever change that,” reports The Express Tribune.
Rohrabacher, in the letter, cites media reports that policemen killed four people in “unprovoked and indiscriminate” firing during a raid on a house in Balochistan. He called it “yet another example in a seeming never ending line of state sponsored violence targeting the Balochi people”.
Rohrabacher warned that US aid assistance for Pakistan will dry up once US forces leave Afghanistan, and Pakistan’s leverage over the US will diminish as a result.
“It is clear that the Pakistani military and intelligence services have for years diverted money intended to help the people of Balochistan, and the other provinces of Pakistan, into funding terrorism and buying weapons to repress their own people,” he said.
In his letter, Rohrabacher says that until Pakistan’s government and military deny ethnic groups in the country their right to self-determination, the country’s future will “remain bleak and marred by political violence”. He added that he has long held India to the same standard as well.
The letter says, “The Baloch people have a right to choose their own political structure and America will no long (sic) play a willing role in helping your government to oppress them.”
Prior to this letter, Rohrabacher had introduced a house concurrent resolution, asking for the Baloch people to be given the right to self-determination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31