Pakistan advises its citizens against travelling to Ajmer
Islamabad: Pakistan on Friday advised its nationals not to participate in the annual `urs` at the Sufi shrine in Ajmer after India said it could not ensure their safety and security.
Deputy High Commissioner Gopal Baglay conveyed India`s position during a meeting with the Director General of South Asia in Pakistan`s Foreign Ministry, said a statement issued by the Foreign Office spokesman.
According to the statement, Baglay said that due to the "prevailing security environment in India following recent bilateral incidents, the government of India would not be in a position to ensure the safety and security" of Pakistani pilgrims scheduled to visit Ajmer to participate in the annual urs of Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti during May 13-23.
"The government of India has recommended to the government of Pakistan that the visit of the Zaireen (pilgrims) to Ajmer Sharif this year may, therefore, be called off," the statement said.
Diplomatic sources told PTI that India had made the recommendation because of tensions created by the deaths of Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh and Pakistani prisoner Sanaullah Ranjay.
Sarabjit died after being comatose for almost a week following a brutal assault by prisoners at Kot Lakhpat Jail in Lahore.
A day after his death, Ranjay was beaten up by a prisoner at Kot Bhalwal Jail in Jammu. He died later in a hospital in Chandigarh.
The Foreign Office said it had conveyed "necessary advice" to the Religious Affairs Ministry, which organises the visit to Ajmer.
Every year, hundreds of Pakistanis visit the shrine in Ajmer, which is revered by people across the subcontinent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA