Pakistan aided Ilyas Kashmiri killing?
Islamabad: Pakistan apparently aided the killing of the dreaded al Qaeda-linked terrorist Ilyas Kashmiri, who had come to figure as the most wanted militant for the security establishment.
"I think certainly, ISI has played a role in the particular US drone attack (that killed Kashmiri and nine others in South Waziristan)", a former senior Pakistani Army officer told al-Jazeera news network.
Hinting that Pakistani establishment had fingered Kashmiri, former Brigadier Shaukat Qadir told the channel, "(The) US had its wish list of people they wanted. I don`t know what their priority was. From Pakistan`s perspective, Ilyas Kashmiri would have been on the top of the wish list."
Kashmiri was one of the top militant who figured on list which the US gave to Pakistan of senior al Qaeda members, it wanted killed or captured, just a week ago.
Others on the list are al Qaeda No 2 Ayman al-Zawahri, al Qaeda operations chief Atiya Abdel Rahman, as well as Taliban leader Mullah Omar, all of whom US intelligence officials believe are hiding in Pakistan. Sirajuddin Haqqani also figures on the list.
Kashmiri, once considered to be a poster boy of Pakistan Army and intelligence, fell foul of the powerful intelligence establishment after carrying out attempts on the life of former president Pervez Musharraf and plotting the recent Mehran air base attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video