Pakistan air base put on high alert after terror tip-off
Rawalpindi: High alert was issued at Pakistan Air Force Chaklala air base following a warning from an intelligence agency that terrorists may target it, a media report said on Thursday.
A police official said that high alert was declared following the tip-off that terrorists might strike PAF air base on Tuesday night.
"The security clampdown came as the intelligence sounded a warning to the authorities concerned to remain vigilant at the airport," the daily Dawn quoted an official as saying.
Sources said that police have informed the air base authorities that there were three major loopholes in the security of the base.
The police official said: "Yes, the police had intimated the authorities concerned about the `loopholes` in the security at the PAF base and on the other sides of the runways and expressed concern over taking the security issue lightly."
There have been a series of terror strikes across Pakistan since the May 2 killing of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. In a brazen attack, terrorists had stormed a key naval base in Karachi on May 22 and destroyed two surveillance aircraft. The 16-hour long siege by terrorists left 14 people, including four attackers, killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Top six excuses man gives to REJECT woman’s proposal
- Atmosphere of ancient Mars had high levels of oxygen: NASA
- Shiv Sena mocks Amit Shah on 'Sholay' posters, BJP warns of `fitting reply`
- Tired of an unruly mane? Watch how to keep hair your straight all day long!
- 7th Pay Commission: Five recommendations that will disappoint govt employees