Pakistan allows Afghan trucks up to Wagah
Islamabad: Pakistan has granted permission to Afghan trucks to carry export goods to the Wagah border for onward dispatch to India, a minister said.
The federal government on Wednesday approved a revised Afghanistan-Pakistan Transit Trade Agreement that allows Afghan trucks up to the Wagah border. Under the old agreement, the Afghan trucks were permitted to carry goods only to the Pakistan-Afghanistan border at Torkham.
Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira said that that the new agreement was an improved form of the treaty signed by the two countries in 1965.
Dawn reported that Pakistan and Afghanistan had finalised the new agreement on July 19 this year but the move sparked a public outburst. Critics said it was done under US pressure for the benefit of India.
Now, in the new agreement, Afghan trucks will be allowed to carry goods to the Wagah border, but they will not be allowed to carry Indian goods to Afghanistan. In return, Pakistani trucks will be allowed to go through Afghanistan to central Asia, Iran and Turkey.
Analysts are of the opinion that the agreement was a failure of the US initiative that was meant to provide India a land route through Pakistan to Afghanistan.
Afghan goods will be permitted to pass through Pakistan only in sealed containers having tracking devices and goods will be re-examined and certified while leaving the border at Torkham.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- First Talgo train trial on Bareilly-Moradabad rail route on May 29
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against AAP, BJP over Delhi power crisis
- Uttarakhand Board Class 12th Examination Results 2016: (uaresults.nic.in) Uttarakhand Board (UK) Class 12th Results 2016, Uttarakhand Class 12 Results 2016 to be declared today
- There was no intention to show disrespect to Stalin or DMK, clarifies Jayalalithaa
- Air ambulance crash lands in Delhi: This is how the pilot saved lives of passengers