Pakistan allows family, lawyers to visit `Osama doc` Afridi
Washington: Relatives and lawyers of imprisoned Pakistani doctor Shakil Afridi, who helped the US track down Osama bin Laden, can visit him in jail after Pakistani regional officials lifted the ban on them.
Afridi had helped the CIA pinpoint the compound where Laden was hiding before the 2011 raid that killed the terror mastermind.
The move, by the provincial government of Pakistan`s northwest region, came after US Special Envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan James Dobbin met with Pakistani leaders earlier this week.
The family of Afridi, who have long expressed concerns about his health and safety, and legal representatives, who have been cut off from their client, will now be able to see him once a month.
According to Fox News, Jamil Afridi, who has appealed to the government and courts for access to his brother, said she was very happy, and will go to see him next week.
Afridi has been kept isolated in Peshawar Prison for nearly nine months since he spoke exclusively from inside prison to Fox News.
In the interview, he gave details about his affection for America and his capture by Pakistan`s spy agency following the Navy SEAL raid, the report said.
Following that interview, authorities revoked several privileges from Afridi and barred his lawyers and family members from visits.
Two prison guards were arrested and a senior prison official was sacked for allegedly providing Afridi cell phones.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead