Pakistan amends 150-year-old political regulation
Islamabad: Pakistan has amended a 150-year-old political regulation that allowed authorities to raze houses of criminals and their relatives in Pushtun-inhabited tribal areas.
The amendment gives people of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas, known as FATA, the right to challenge the decisions of the political agent -- the eyes and ears of Islamabad.
The Frontier Crimes Regulation (FCR) comprises a set of laws enforced by the British in the Pashtun areas along Afghanistan. They were framed to counter the fierce opposition of the Pashtuns to British rule.
In Pakistan, each tribal agency is administered by a political agent who carries out administrative functions.
He is also responsible for handling inter-tribal disputes over boundaries or the use of natural resources.
The agent plays a supervisory role for development projects.
Dawn said that innocent men, women and children had become victims of the draconian regulation. Even family members of those accused under the regulation got jailed.
Under the FCR, the government had the powers to raze the houses of criminals and their relatives.
President Asif Ali Zardari on Friday signed orders setting into motion a set of reforms in the tribal areas, said the Associated Press of Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Some parties trying to create anti-Centre sentiment, says Venkaiah Naidu
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog