Pakistan approves $1.91 bn deal for new N-plants
Islamabad: Energy-hungry Pakistan has
approved a USD 1.91 billion inter-governmental framework
agreement with its all-weather ally China for financing two
new nuclear power plants, a media report said here on Tuesday.
The federal cabinet, in its last meeting, ratified the
agreement whereby China is expected to provide 82 per cent of
the total financing of USD 1.91 billion to Pakistan as a soft
loan for 20 years, with an eight-year grace period.
The decision comes close on the heels of the US
virtually rejecting Pakistan`s demand for a nuclear deal
similar to the one Washington has with India. However, the US
has signed an agreement with Pakistan to revamp three thermal
power plants to meet its growing energy needs.
The agreement is for two nuclear power plants of 320
MW each to be built by the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission
and China`s Zongyuan Engineering Corporation at the Chashma
site in Punjab province.
China`s Eximbank will provide 82 per cent of the
financing for the two plants and the Pakistan government will
arrange the remaining 18 per cent, the Dawn newspaper quoted
its sources as saying.
The inter-governmental framework agreement has loan
facility in three phases. The first phase will amount to 104
million dollars with an annual interest rate of one per cent,
management fee of 0.2 per cent and commitment fee of 0.2 pct.
The "second loan preferential buyer credit agreement"
will allow Pakistan to get a billion dollars at an annual
interest rate of 2 per cent, management fee of 0.2 per cent
and commitment fee also of 0.2pc.
The third phase will enable Pakistan to obtain buyers
credit worth 474 million dollars with an annual interest rate
of 6 per cent, management fee of 0.75 per cent, commitment fee
of 0.5 per cent and insurance at 7 per cent.
The pact also provides that annual composite interest
rate will not increase over three per cent in any case.
The two new plants are being built to overcome
Pakistan`s growing power shortfall and the Executive Committee
of the National Economic Council has already approved these
projects, sources in the Planning Commission were quoted as
Each plant will comprise a nuclear steam supply system
(NSSS), a turbine generator set and associated auxiliary
equipment and installations.
The NSSS consists of a reactor and two coolant loops
connected in parallel to the reactor vessel. Each loop
consists of a reactor coolant pump and steam generator.
The design of the Chashma-3 and Chashma-4 units is
similar to the design of the Chashma-2, which is currently
being built and is expected to be ready by next year.
Chashma-2`s design is an improved version of Chashma-1.
These improvements are based on feedback from
Chashma-1 and safety enhancements to meet the requirements of
the Pakistan Nuclear Regulatory Authority. The Chashma-1
nuclear plant, which produces 300 MW, has been in commercial
operation since 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview