Pakistan Army chief Kayani cancels UK visit
London: Pakistan`s powerful Army chief on Monday
cancelled a visit to Britain as US outrage grows over
allegations that Pakistani spies helped insurgents attack
American targets in Afghanistan.
Britain`s Ministry of Defence said Gen Ashfaq Pervez
Kayani, who was expected to meet privately with UK Defence
Minister Liam Fox had cancelled. It declined to speculate on
why the visit was scrapped.
A Pakistani official said Kayani was staying in Pakistan
to hold talks on the crisis sparked by the US accusations
against Pakistan`s military-run Inter-Services Intelligence
spy agency. The official spoke on condition of anonymity
because of the sensitivity of the situation.
Last week, the chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff,
Adm. Mike Mullen, accused the ISI of having backed an Afghan
insurgent group in the planning and execution of a Sept. 13
assault on the US Embassy in Afghanistan as well as a truck
bomb that wounded 77 American soldiers days earlier.
Kayani, widely considered the most powerful man in
Pakistan, has dismissed the allegations as baseless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?