Pakistan Army chief Kayani cancels UK visit
London: Pakistan`s powerful Army chief on Monday
cancelled a visit to Britain as US outrage grows over
allegations that Pakistani spies helped insurgents attack
American targets in Afghanistan.
Britain`s Ministry of Defence said Gen Ashfaq Pervez
Kayani, who was expected to meet privately with UK Defence
Minister Liam Fox had cancelled. It declined to speculate on
why the visit was scrapped.
A Pakistani official said Kayani was staying in Pakistan
to hold talks on the crisis sparked by the US accusations
against Pakistan`s military-run Inter-Services Intelligence
spy agency. The official spoke on condition of anonymity
because of the sensitivity of the situation.
Last week, the chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff,
Adm. Mike Mullen, accused the ISI of having backed an Afghan
insurgent group in the planning and execution of a Sept. 13
assault on the US Embassy in Afghanistan as well as a truck
bomb that wounded 77 American soldiers days earlier.
Kayani, widely considered the most powerful man in
Pakistan, has dismissed the allegations as baseless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption