Pakistan Army chief Kayani cancels UK visit
London: Pakistan`s powerful Army chief on Monday
cancelled a visit to Britain as US outrage grows over
allegations that Pakistani spies helped insurgents attack
American targets in Afghanistan.
Britain`s Ministry of Defence said Gen Ashfaq Pervez
Kayani, who was expected to meet privately with UK Defence
Minister Liam Fox had cancelled. It declined to speculate on
why the visit was scrapped.
A Pakistani official said Kayani was staying in Pakistan
to hold talks on the crisis sparked by the US accusations
against Pakistan`s military-run Inter-Services Intelligence
spy agency. The official spoke on condition of anonymity
because of the sensitivity of the situation.
Last week, the chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff,
Adm. Mike Mullen, accused the ISI of having backed an Afghan
insurgent group in the planning and execution of a Sept. 13
assault on the US Embassy in Afghanistan as well as a truck
bomb that wounded 77 American soldiers days earlier.
Kayani, widely considered the most powerful man in
Pakistan, has dismissed the allegations as baseless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre