Pakistan Army chief Kayani meets Nawaz Sharif
Lahore: Pakistan Army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani on Saturday met Prime Minister-designate Nawaz Sharif and briefed him on the security situation of the country.
Kayani, who sought the meeting, called on Sharif at his brother Shahbaz Sharif`s residence at Model Town in Lahore on Saturday afternoon.
This was the first meeting between Kayani and Sharif since the PML-N emerged victorious in the May 11 general election.
The meeting lasted over three hours and the leaders had lunch together. No other PML-N leaders were present during the meeting.
The army chief briefed the PML-N chief on the security situation across the country. The leaders also exchanged views on the regional situation and the war on terror, sources said.
The meeting was held in a cordial atmosphere and Kayani congratulated Sharif on his victory in the polls, sources said.
The two leaders agreed to work together to confront challenges facing Pakistan, including terrorism, Geo News quoted its sources as saying.
They further agreed that all security institutions would work with the civilian government to overcome crises, the report said.
Sharif lauded the security establishment`s role in strengthening democracy and allowing the previous civilian government to complete its five-year tenure, the channel reported.
Sharif is poised to become Prime Minister for an unprecedented third time.
In an interview before the polls, Sharif said the Prime Minister would be the army chief`s "boss". He also said he did not believe Kayani would seek another extension.
Kayani got an unprecedented three-year extension in 2010 from the previous Pakistan People`s Party-led government and is set to retire in November. Sharif had already said the next army chief will be selected on the basis of seniority.
In a separate development, Sharif accepted President Asif Ali Zardari`s invitation to a luncheon he is hosting for the visiting Chinese Premier at the presidency on May 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town