Pakistan Army chief visits LoC to assess situation
Islamabad: Pakistan Army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani on Tuesday visited the LoC to assess the security situation in the wake of violations of a ceasefire in the region over the past few weeks.
Kayani visited Kotli sector of the Line of Control, an area that has witnessed heavy exchanges of fire between Indian and Pakistani troops.
Official sources said the powerful army chief visited the LoC to personally assess the security situation and to be briefed by top commanders.
Kayani also met soldiers posted along the LoC and appreciated their bravery, the sources said.
Despite a truce put in place along the LoC in November 2003, intermittent skirmishes have continued along the heavily militarised ceasefire line.
The situation heated up on August 6, when five Indian soldiers were killed in an attack by Pakistani troops on the Indian side of the LoC.
Since then, both sides have accused each other of violating the truce. At least four Pakistani soldiers, including a captain, have been killed in recent weeks.
The tensions on the LoC have affected bilateral ties even though back channel talks are on to restore normalcy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Ricardo Quaresma heads Portugal into Euro 2016 quarters
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?