Pakistan Army chief visits LoC to assess situation
Islamabad: Pakistan Army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani on Tuesday visited the LoC to assess the security situation in the wake of violations of a ceasefire in the region over the past few weeks.
Kayani visited Kotli sector of the Line of Control, an area that has witnessed heavy exchanges of fire between Indian and Pakistani troops.
Official sources said the powerful army chief visited the LoC to personally assess the security situation and to be briefed by top commanders.
Kayani also met soldiers posted along the LoC and appreciated their bravery, the sources said.
Despite a truce put in place along the LoC in November 2003, intermittent skirmishes have continued along the heavily militarised ceasefire line.
The situation heated up on August 6, when five Indian soldiers were killed in an attack by Pakistani troops on the Indian side of the LoC.
Since then, both sides have accused each other of violating the truce. At least four Pakistani soldiers, including a captain, have been killed in recent weeks.
The tensions on the LoC have affected bilateral ties even though back channel talks are on to restore normalcy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?