Pakistan Army kills 25 militants in overnight raid
Parachinar: Pakistani security forces backed by artillery and helicopters targeted militant positions near the Afghan border, killing at least 25 suspected insurgents, an official said on Saturday.
Local government official Samiullah Khan said several other insurgents were wounded when the military attacked militant positions in the troubled Orakzai tribal region late Friday.
Helicopters also targeted militants in some mountainous areas of Orakzai on Saturday, he said.
About 210,000 civilians have fled from Orakzai since the fighting began at the end of last year, including nearly 50,000 people who have left in the last month when ground forces moved into the area to flush out insurgents.
Khan said troops had cleared almost all urban areas of militants and ground forces are now moving toward mountainous areas to flush out militants who are still believed to be hiding there.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!