Pakistan Army to deploy 50,000 troops to secure May 11 polls
Islamabad: Apprehending massive terrorist strikes during the May 11 general elections, Pakistan Army has decided to deploy about 50,000 troops across the country to ensure peaceful elections.
The Interior Ministry has warned of massive terrorist threats during the elections as banned groups like Jandullah, Lashkar-e-Jhangvi and Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan were planning to carry out large-scale attacks in Balochistan province, especially in Quetta and Nushki.
The Taliban are reportedly planning suicide and bomb attacks on important government buildings and installations in Peshawar. Taliban fighters based at Mirali in the tribal areas might carry out attacks in Khanewal, Multan and other areas of Punjab.
Intelligence reports suggested attacks on government and semi-government buildings, installations and security personnel were also possible, the Dawn newspaper quoted its sources as saying.
A presentation made during a meeting between officials of the Interior Ministry and the Election Commission focussed on the threats to the polls, the report said.
A decision to deploy around 50,000 troops for security duties during the general election was made during a meeting of the Pakistan Army`s Corps Commanders Wednesday, The News daily today quoted a top military source as saying.
The meeting, chaired by army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, deliberated on preparations for providing security and maintaining law and order during the polls.
"The deployment of troops along with lakhs of police (and Pakistan) Rangers and the security network will provide security during the elections," an unnamed senior official said.
Election Commission Secretary Ishtiaq Ahmed visited the army`s General Headquarters in Rawalpindi twice to discuss the security plan and to identify areas where the poll panel wants the military to maintain law and order for smooth conduct of the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow