Pakistan arrested American who was killed by drone
Peshawar: An American citizen killed in a US drone strike in Pakistan in 2011 was arrested by Pakistani authorities three years earlier but escaped after being released on bail, officials said on Thursday.
The Obama administration revealed on Wednesday that Jude Kenan Mohammad died in a US drone strike in Pakistan`s tribal region, making him the fourth American citizen killed by unmanned aircraft in Pakistan and Yemen.
The confirmation came as President Barack Obama is expected to deliver a speech in Washington today that will focus in large part on the administration`s expanded use of drones to kill hundreds of people in those two countries and other places where terrorists have taken refuge.
US officials didn`t provide details, but Pakistani security officials said Mohammad was killed in late 2011 in Pakistan`s South Waziristan tribal area.
Mohammad was part of an eight-member group based in North Carolina accused of planning terrorist attacks. He was indicted by federal authorities in 2009 as part of an alleged plot to attack the US Marine Corps base in Quantico, Virginia.
The other seven members were arrested, but authorities said Mohammad fled the US to join Islamic militants in Pakistan`s tribal region.
Pakistani intelligence officials arrested Mohammad on October 15, 2008, after he tried to enter Mohmand, a tribal area considered a sanctuary for al Qaeda and Taliban militants, without the permission required for foreigners to travel to the tribal region.
Mohammad, who was 20 years old at the time, was carrying a laptop, a dagger, Islamic books and DVDs, a map of Pakistan and an American passport, the security officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to talk to the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city