Pakistan arrested American who was killed by drone
Peshawar: An American citizen killed in a US drone strike in Pakistan in 2011 was arrested by Pakistani authorities three years earlier but escaped after being released on bail, officials said on Thursday.
The Obama administration revealed on Wednesday that Jude Kenan Mohammad died in a US drone strike in Pakistan`s tribal region, making him the fourth American citizen killed by unmanned aircraft in Pakistan and Yemen.
The confirmation came as President Barack Obama is expected to deliver a speech in Washington today that will focus in large part on the administration`s expanded use of drones to kill hundreds of people in those two countries and other places where terrorists have taken refuge.
US officials didn`t provide details, but Pakistani security officials said Mohammad was killed in late 2011 in Pakistan`s South Waziristan tribal area.
Mohammad was part of an eight-member group based in North Carolina accused of planning terrorist attacks. He was indicted by federal authorities in 2009 as part of an alleged plot to attack the US Marine Corps base in Quantico, Virginia.
The other seven members were arrested, but authorities said Mohammad fled the US to join Islamic militants in Pakistan`s tribal region.
Pakistani intelligence officials arrested Mohammad on October 15, 2008, after he tried to enter Mohmand, a tribal area considered a sanctuary for al Qaeda and Taliban militants, without the permission required for foreigners to travel to the tribal region.
Mohammad, who was 20 years old at the time, was carrying a laptop, a dagger, Islamic books and DVDs, a map of Pakistan and an American passport, the security officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to talk to the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India