Pakistan arrests 2 senior Afghan Taliban: Official
Kunduz (Afghanistan): Pakistan has captured two "shadow governors" belonging to Afghanistan`s Taliban movement, an Afghan official said on Thursday.
The timing of the reported arrests coincides with the capture of Taliban`s second-in-command Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar in Pakistan`s Karachi by Pakistani and U.S. agents this month.
Mullah Abdul Salam and Mullah Mir Mohammad, respectively the shadow governors of the northern Afghan provinces of Kunduz and Baghlan happened in Pakistan`s Baluchistan province, the Afghan governor for Kunduz said.
"My information about their capture, which occurred nearly a week ago, is based on national intelligence sources," Mohammad Omar told Reuters.
Pakistan has yet to comment about the report on the arrest of the two men, who both reported to Baradar.
Since their ouster from power by U.S.-backed Afghan forces in 2001, the Taliban have appointed shadow governors whose primary responsibility is organizing Taliban military activities.
The reported detentions come after mounting criticism by some U.S. officials who say Islamabad is not tackling Afghan Taliban based on it soil, using it as a base for carrying out attacks on Afghan and foreign troops across the border.
Washington has hailed Pakistan for the capture of Baradar, the seniormost Taliban leader to be held since the movement`s ouster from power in Afghanistan more than eight years ago.
Baradar`s capture coincides with the launch of a huge offensive by NATO and Afghan forces to flush the Taliban out of their biggest bastion in Helmand province, while the Afghan government is reaching out to them for possible reconciliation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP