Pakistan arrests TTP `militant` in Karachi
Karachi: An alleged militant of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan has been arrested by the Crime Investigation Department during a raid to round up criminal elements and target killers in the city.
The senior superintendent of police CID`s Anti-Extremist Cell (AEC), Chaudhary Aslam told reporters that Akhtar Mehsud was arrested a few days ago during a raid in Kunwari colony in Mangophir here.
"He has given us some very useful information regarding the planning by the TTP in Karachi," Aslam said.
Mehsud has been shifted to an undisclosed location for interrogation. He reportedly told officials that suicide bombers have been dispatched to wreak havoc during Muharram.
Three powerful blasts today rocked Pakistan, including two outside an Imambargah in Karachi, killing at least nine people even as security was tightened across the country to avert attacks on Shia gatherings in the month of Muharram.
The first blast in Karachi occurred when a suicide bomber`s explosives detonated when his motorcycle collided with an auto-rickshaw a short distance from the main gate of the imambargah at Orangi Town in Karachi this evening.
Aslam alleged that Mehsud was instrumental in strengthening the TTP network in Karachi, and was also involved in generating funds for the militant organisation.
He also reportedly had close links with TTP`s chief for Manghopir and surrounding areas, Sher Zaman Mehsud.
The inspector general of police for Sindh, Fayyaz Leghari told a press conference in Hyderabad that the police had arrested 165 target killers in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured