Pakistan asks coalition not to leave Afghanistan in haste
Islamabad: The Pakistani government warned
foreign forces today not to leave Afghanistan "in haste",
saying Islamabad was committed to its role as a US partner in
the battle against extremists.
Washington is urging Pakistan to crack down on militant
strongholds along its border, but US President Barack Obama
unnerved many officials by vowing to begin drawing down US
forces in Afghanistan in July 2011.
"The decision to leave Afghanistan should be taken when
it is able to look after itself effectively," foreign ministry
spokesman Abdul Basit told a press briefing.
"Stability and peace in Afghanistan is in our strategic
interest... We are therefore engaged with the US in ensuring
that the new US Afghanistan policy delivers," Basit added.
"Coalition forces should not leave Afghanistan in haste."
Islamabad has expressed concern that Obama`s new war
strategy, announced in December, could destabilise the region
if forces leave before Afghanistan is able to counter a
virulent Taliban insurgency alone.
Plans to send 30,000 more US troops into the war zone
have also raised fears that militants might flee new
offensives and head into Pakistan`s troubled northwest and
southern border regions.
Pakistan saw a flood of Taliban and Al-Qaeda militants
enter its lawless borderlands after a US-led invasion ousted
the Taliban from Afghanistan in 2001 and security has
drastically deteriorated in the last eight years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- RSS questions Rahul Gandhi's remark, demands apology
- Delhi HC rejects plea against Raj Thackeray's security cover
- Eleven Turkish police killed in bombing blamed on PKK
- Haryana govt asks probe officer to stop working on second report into Jat agitation
- Sister aka stylist Rhea Kapoor speaks about Sonam's fashion secrets