Pakistan bans ASWJ, a front for Sipah-e-Sahaba
Islamabad: The Pakistan government has
quietly banned the Ahl-e-Sunnat Wal Jamaat (ASWJ), a front
organisation for the proscribed Sipah-e-Sahaba, according to a
media report on Saturday.
The Interior Ministry issued a notification two weeks ago
to ban the ASWJ.
The notification stated that the ASWJ was suspected to be
involved in terrorism-related activities linked to the
Sipah-e-Sahaba, BBC Urdu reported.
The new notification, which has so far not been made
public, was issued under Schedule 1 of the Anti-Terrorism Act,
which lists all banned organisations.
According to the notification, authorities in all four
provinces have been alerted to the change in status for ASWJ.
There was no official word on the development.
ASWJ chief Maulana Ahmed Ludhianvi, who was recently
barred from entering Islamabad due to concerns that he could
foment sectarian unrest, said he was not aware of the ban.
He said if such a ban had been put in place, his group
would challenge it in court.
He claimed his group respected the law and imposing a ban
on it was "akin to imposing a ban on Pakistan".
The ASWJ is part of the Defa-e-Pakistan Council, a
conglomerate of militant and hardline groups that was cobbled
together last year by Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Mohammad
The UN Security Council declared the JuD a front for the
Lashkar-e-Taiba after the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray