Pakistan bans ASWJ, a front for Sipah-e-Sahaba
Islamabad: The Pakistan government has
quietly banned the Ahl-e-Sunnat Wal Jamaat (ASWJ), a front
organisation for the proscribed Sipah-e-Sahaba, according to a
media report on Saturday.
The Interior Ministry issued a notification two weeks ago
to ban the ASWJ.
The notification stated that the ASWJ was suspected to be
involved in terrorism-related activities linked to the
Sipah-e-Sahaba, BBC Urdu reported.
The new notification, which has so far not been made
public, was issued under Schedule 1 of the Anti-Terrorism Act,
which lists all banned organisations.
According to the notification, authorities in all four
provinces have been alerted to the change in status for ASWJ.
There was no official word on the development.
ASWJ chief Maulana Ahmed Ludhianvi, who was recently
barred from entering Islamabad due to concerns that he could
foment sectarian unrest, said he was not aware of the ban.
He said if such a ban had been put in place, his group
would challenge it in court.
He claimed his group respected the law and imposing a ban
on it was "akin to imposing a ban on Pakistan".
The ASWJ is part of the Defa-e-Pakistan Council, a
conglomerate of militant and hardline groups that was cobbled
together last year by Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Mohammad
The UN Security Council declared the JuD a front for the
Lashkar-e-Taiba after the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes